Freed-Hardeman University offers a very competitive benefits package. Please click on any of the links below for more detailed information.
Benefits Start Date
Health and Wellness
Time Away from Work
Life Style Coaching with BCBS
Benefits Start Date Health and Wellness
Effective March 1, 2008 a change has been made to our benefits program. When a new full time employee is hired, their benefits will be effective on their date of hire. When an employee terminates, their last day of active employment is the last day of their coverage. As an example, when a person begins working on March 8 their benefits will become effective March 8. An employee whose last day of work is May 20 will have coverage until midnight of that night.
- Medical Insurance
Two plans offered by Blue Cross Blue Shield of TN
- Lifestyle Coaching
Lifestyle Coaching How It Works
Lifestyle Coaching PowerPoint Presentation
- Dental Insurance
Comprehensive coverage through Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Vision Insurance
Coverage provided by Blue Cross Blue Shield
- Flex Spending Account Plan
Allows you to use pre-tax dollars to cover medical, dental, and certain other expenses.
- Health Savings Account (HSA)
Allows you to deposit pre-tax dollars into a savings account to accrue for certain medical expenses. Available with High Deductible Health Plans.
- Life Insurance
We provide each employee with $20,000 life insurance with the option of purchasing more at a low rate.
- Long Term Disability
Long term disability insurance provided for the employee.
- FHitness for U Wellness program
A comprehensive wellness program that aims to encourage employees to become healthier emotionally, spiritually, financially, and physically.
2014-15 Insurance Review
- FHU Retirement Plan
FHU works with two providers, ING and TIAA-CREF, to provide retirement plans to its employees. FHU will match contributions up to 5% of the employee's annual salary. Participation is mandatory as of employee's start date.
Time Away from Work
1st year of employment: 10 days
5th year of employment: 15 days
19.5 paid holidays per year
- The holidays for the 2014-2015 fiscal year are as follows:
- Independence Day – Friday, July 4, 2014
- Labor Day – Monday, September 1, 2014
- Week of Thanksgiving – Monday, November 24 to Friday, November 28, 2014
- Christmas Break – Monday, December 22 - Wednesday, December 31
(FHU will re-open on Monday, January 5)
- New Year's Day – Thursday, January 1 and Friday, January 2, 2015
- Martin Luther King Jr. Birthday – Monday, January 19, 2015
- Spring Break – March 23-27, 2015
- Memorial Day – Monday, May 25, 2015
- Sick Leave
Offered to all full-time staff and faculty members
- Maternity Leave
6 weeks of paid time off
- Paternity Leave
5 days of paid time off
- Mission Leave
5 days of paid time off to perform mission work
- Employee Educational Remission Program
The employee and employee's spouse and dependents (until age 26) may receive at least 80% tuition remission for undergraduate classes and at least 40% remission for graduate classes. This is effective after employee's first full year of service.
- On-site Doctor, RN and campus clinic
Free to employees and their dependents
- Free access to the FHU Fitness Center, as well as a walking track and racquetball courts located in the Brewer Sports Center.
- Several businesses in Henderson and Jackson offer FHU employees special discounts.