Application Process

What is an immersion program, and how does it work? 

A language immersion program is a method of learning a language while living in another country. In addition to studying the language in an academic setting, a student lives in the culture for the duration of the program.

Why should I participate in FHU’s Spanish Immersion Program? 

Immersion programs provide students with a rich set of language skills much more effectively and more quickly than studying a second language in a traditional classroom setting. For students majoring in Spanish at FHU, the program is a mandatory part of their academic plan.

Who can participate in FHU’s Spanish Immersion Program? 

Only full time juniors and seniors with a minimum GPA of 2.5 may participate in the Spanish Immersion Program. Students do not need to be majoring (or minoring) in Spanish to participate, but they must receive permission from the Spanish Program Coordinator. Students whose GPA falls below 2.5 or who are on any kind of probation—academic, disciplinary, or otherwise—may not participate. Intercollegiate athletes should seek permission from their coach before applying for the Spanish Immersion Program, as the dates may conflict with summer training schedules. 

How do I apply? 

The FHU Abroad application can be filled out online. Paper applications can be obtained from the FHU Abroad Office in the Joy Simon McDaniel House. Students are required to complete the application, pay a $600 deposit, and submit the Student Responsibilities form (available from the FHU Abroad Office) before they can officially be admitted into the Spanish Immersion Program.  

When do I need to apply? 

The application deadline for the 2016 Spanish Immersion Program is February 15, 2016. 

When and where is the Spanish Immersion Program offered? 

FHU’s Spanish Immersion Program is offered in the summer of even years. The 2016 Spanish Immersion Program will be held in Madrid, Spain, during the month of July. 




How much does the program cost? 

The cost of participating in the Spanish Immersion Program is currently $6,000 and includes tuition, airfare, room and board, and travel insurance.


Will there be any other expenses?

The program fee does not include books, a transcript fee (for transferring credit back to FHU), at least four meals, optional weekend excursions, and additional personal activities/transportation expenses. Students should budget $500-1,000 for additional expenses.


Can I still use my financial aid?

Grants and loans, including federal financial aid, is transferable international education programs sponsored by FHU. Institutional scholarships or discounts awarded by FHU do not apply to studies with the Spanish Immersion Program, including academic and athletic scholarships.


When will I make payments for the Spanish Immersion Program?

Payments toward the program fee are scheduled throughout the months before the summer program begins.

Scheduled payments for 2016:

  • Deposit (upon application) — $600
  • January 25, 2016 — $1,350
  • February 15, 2016 — $1,350
  • March 7, 2016 — $1,350
  • March 28, 2016 — $1,350


How can I make the payments?

All payments may be paid by cash, check, or credit card at the Business Office in Loyd Auditorium. To pay by credit card via phone, contact the Office of Business Services at 731-989-6357.



Living Abroad

Where will I take classes?

Classes will be held every weekday on the campus of the Universidad Complutense de Madrid.


What are the living arrangements during the Spanish Immersion Program?

Students and a faculty supervisor will live in dorm-style housing in Madrid within walking distance from the university campus. Facilities available to participants will include access to laundry services, Internet access, swimming pool, tennis courts, and other services.


Will I receive academic credit?

In addition to the one-hour Spanish Immersion Program course (SPA 367), students may receive up to seven additional hours of transferable academic credit upon passing classes at the Universidad Complutense de Madrid. See the Spanish Program Coordinator for additional information about academic credit.


Where will I travel during the Spanish Immersion Program?

Students will have the opportunity to visit local museums, sites, and cultural attractions in the evenings. The program will also include optional weekend excursions at additional cost to locations such as Segovia, Toledo, Grenanda, and Asturias.


How will I access money in Spain?

Students are encouraged to obtain an ATM card or credit card that allows withdrawals to obtain money while studying abroad. We do not recommend that participants carry U.S. cash to exchange overseas.


How does the FHU Abroad Office address safety concerns?

The health and safety of students traveling overseas is always very important to Freed-Hardeman University. Every effort is made to keep our students abroad safe and secure. An entire pre-departure orientation meeting is spent educating students about safety concerns, appropriate conduct while traveling abroad, and what to do in the event of an emergency. In the event of an emergency, the FHU Abroad Office will be in close contact with the faculty supervisor traveling with the students as well as the students and family members involved.

The U.S. State Department works to alert U.S. citizens of any international travel risks, and all of our international program participants are encouraged to enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP). STEP is a free program provided by the State Department that allows international travelers to receive the latest travel updates and information about their location.

What happens if I get sick or injured while in Spain?

All participants will be provided with comprehensive travel insurance for their time in Spain. This insurance will cover each participant in the event of an illness or injury that requires a visit to a hospital or doctor. The insurance policy also provides coverage for lost or stolen belongings, emergency evacuation, and trip and baggage delays.



Preparing for the Program

What are the pre-departure orientation meetings?

Students who are accepted into the Spanish Immersion Program will be required to attend pre-departure orientation meetings held throughout the spring semester before traveling abroad. These meetings will cover topics like safety, student conduct, packing, and Spanish culture, and general information about the program. The orientation meetings are a great opportunity to ask any questions you may have about your upcoming travels.


When do I need to apply for a passport?

Begin the passport application process in the fall semester before the Spanish Immersion Program begins. Students are required to provide a copy of their passport (or proof of purchase) by the application deadline (January 27). Even if you already have a passport, check the expiration date! The U.S. State Department requires citizens traveling outside the U.S. to have a passport that is valid for three months after they plan to return from their travels. For information about how to apply for a passport, reference these instructions on the State Department website.


Will I need a visa?

U.S. citizens do not need to apply for a visa for the Spanish Immersion Program in Spain. Spain allows U.S. citizens to stay for up to 90 days without a visa. International students should consult the FHU Abroad Office to determine whether or not they will need to obtain a visa.


Do I need to get any immunizations or vaccinations before I study abroad?

Students are encouraged to maintain their regular immunizations and vaccinations, including Tetanus, Hepatitis B, and MMR. We do not ask students who participate in study abroad to provide their shot records, however.