The Honors College offers talented, motivated students educational opportunities designed to enrich the university experience and to advance progress toward personal, academic, and career goals. Our mission is to help Freed-Hardeman University's most academically gifted students gain the most from their college program.
Five original purposes were enumerated in documents establishing the Honors Program in 1974:
- Recognize and foster academic excellence and leadership.
- Encourage and assist able students to progress beyond normal course activities.
- Provide opportunities to integrate learning and individual interests.
- Enable students to work more closely with teachers.
- Promote academic responsibility, independent thinking, and the development of students' initiative to learn and work on their own.