Freed-Hardeman University has designed the Master of Science in
Counseling with National Certification and State Licensing Requirements as
NATIONAL CERTIFICATION (National Board of Certified Counselors):
A. Hold a Master’s Degree in Counseling from a regionally accredited
B. Complete a minimum of 48 semester hours within the required coursework.
C. Complete two academic terms of field experience in a counseling setting.
D. Document two years of postmaster’s counseling experience.
E. Provide two professional reference assessments.
F. Pass the National Counselor Examination.
STATE LICENSURE (Qualifications for Tennessee Licensure With
Mental Health Services Provider Designation):
A. Prior to submitting an application, each of the following qualifications
must be met by a candidate for professional counselor with Mental Health
Services Provider designation:
1. Be at least 18 years of age.
2. Must provide evidence that he is highly regarded in moral character and
ethics (Rule 0450-1-.05).
3. Meet the following educational requirements prior to the date of
(a) Sixty (60) graduate semester hours, based upon a program of studies with
a major in counseling, completed from an institution accredited by the
Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, the Counsel for Accreditation
of Counseling and Related Educational Programs, or a comparable accrediting
(b) The graduate coursework should include, but is not limited to, the
following core areas (one course may satisfy study in more than one of the
(1) Theories of human behavior, learning and personality
(2) Abnormal behavior and psychopathology
(3) Theories of counseling and psychotherapy
(4) Evaluation and appraisal procedures
(5) Group dynamics, theories and techniques
(6) Counseling techniques
(8) Use of the DSM
(9) Treatment and treatment planning
(10) Clinical practicum or internship (pursuant to T.C.A. 63-22-104)
4. Complete 1000 hours of post-masters professional experience, including
hours of supervised experience obtained pursuant to Rule 0450-1-.10(5);
5. Pass the examination pursuant to Rule 0450-1-.08.
B. For the purpose of mental health service provider designation pursuant to
T.C.A. 63- 22-150, “has completed a minimum of nine (9) graduate semester
hours of coursework specifically related to diagnosis, treatment, appraisal
and assessment of mental disorders” will be interpreted to mean passing nine
(9) semester hours, either during the course of a graduate degree or as
post-graduate work, in courses which include diagnosis, treatment and
treatment planning, appraisal and assessment of mental disorders,
psychopathology, and the use of the DSM, were the entire focus of the course
or comprised a substantial portion of the course work.