Summer JumpSTART is a new student early registration opportunity scheduled for students enrolling in the fall of 2014. You will have the chance to set your class schedule, meet the faculty leading each department, meet on-campus staff who are here to assist you with the enrollment process and meet future classmates and friends. We want to begin building a relationship with you and your family before school starts in August.
The early registration process will be a two-day event.
You and your parents will spend the first day becoming acquainted with current students, staff and faculty. Separate sessions for students and parents will allow you to walk away with tools to begin the transition process as you learn about your new “Home Away From Home”. The second day you will register for classes by appointment with an academic advisor.
What will it cost?
Summer JumpSTART is free! Limited on-campus housing for students is available on a first-come, first-served basis. You and your family will be our guests for dinner the first day and for a continental breakfast the second day. Parents and students are responsible for their own lunches each day. You can eat on-campus in Wallace-Gano Dining Hall (about $6/person for 1 meal) or choose from a provided list of area restaurants.
What do I need to do before reserving a date?
Before you can reserve a date you must have your file completed in the Office of Admissions.
Your file should include:
- An official three-year transcript (official four-year transcript will be required by Aug. 1)
- A copy of ACT/SAT test scores
- A completed Student Health Form
- $250 Enrollment Deposit submitted
will need official college transcripts for work completed and a copy of a schedule of coursework in progress, in addition to the Student Health Form
You cannot signup for Summer JumpSTART until your file is complete. Please feel free to call or email your admissions counselor to check your file (email@example.com or 1-800-FHU-FHU1).
How do I reserve a summer registration date?
Just complete the online form. If you need help, use the online chat option or call Admissions at 1-800-FHU-FHU1. When calling, be sure to tell the Admissions office if your parents will be coming.
ACT sub-scores in math and English are used for course placement. If your English sub-score is less than 18, you will be required to register for Basic English which is a developmental course and counts for institutional credit only. If your math sub-score is less than 21, depending on your major, you may be required to register for a developmental course that counts for institutional credit only. An option to test out of the developmental courses is to take the ACCUPLACER Exam, a free exam administered before you register for classes by the staff of the Academic Success Center. For more information or to schedule an appointment to take the exam, please contact your admissions counselor.
How many new students can come to each registration?
Due to housing, dining and time constraints, we have a limited number of spots available for each date.
Complete your file as soon as possible to ensure the reservation of your preferred appointment. How many of my family members can come?
Limited dorm accommodations are available for students only. We ask that attendance be limited to incoming students and their parents. Siblings may attend if necessary, but we are unable to provide on-campus housing for them.
If you are coming only for registration on the second day and will not be spending the night, space will not be an issue.
What if I can't come both days?
We understand that jobs and other responsibilities may hinder you from coming both days. If you are unable to attend both days, but would like to attend registration on the second day, please select an advising appointment time on the online form and indicate that you will not need housing.
What if I can't come at all this summer?
Not a problem! Call your Admissions Counselor to discuss alternative registration options.
What do I bring?
Don't feel like you have to dress up for any of the activities. Bring comfortable clothes. You may want to take a look at the university dress code online. Click here for a PDF version.
Things to bring:
- Bedding for a twin bed or sleeping bag
- Toiletries (including toilet paper and soap)
- Clothing for both days
- Towel and Wash Cloth
- Students - cool, comfortable outdoor clothing for ropes course activities
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
Thursday - June 19
2pm - 3:30pm - Check-in, Brown-Kopel Lobby
- Students and families check-in with Admissions in Brown-Kopel lobby
- Audition times for University Chorale or Singers are available at this time
3:30pm - Welcome to JumpSTART, Ayers Auditorium, Brown-Kopel Business Center
- 3:40pm - STUDENTS will depart to Crew Colbert Activity Center for College 101 Sessions
- 3:40pm - PARENTS will stay in Ayers Auditorium for sessions from all of FHU's Student Support Services
- 5:00pm - 6:00pm - Dinner, Wallace-Gano Dining Hall
- 6:00pm - 8:00pm - STUDENTS Orientation and Team Building, MSYC ROPES Course
- 6:00pm - 8:50pm - PARENTS Sessions, Crews-Colbert Activity Center
- 9:00pm - 9:30pm - Devotional - Old Chapel Hall, Old Main
- 9:30pm - Curfew - Movies in the Crews and free time
Friday - June 20
Registration for Fall classes
Please bring your folder to registration. Feel free to come 15 minutes earlier than your appointment time. Appointments begin at 8:00am. There is a break for lunch from 12:00pm - 1:00pm for faculty and staff.
- Students will be able to:
- Register for all classes
- Speak with Financial Aid and Student Accounts
- Speak with the Director of Housing
- Make an Identification Card
- Register a vehicle (bring your tag number and proof of insurance)
- Auditions for University Chorale or Singers will be held by appointment.
We can't wait to see you at Summer JumpSTART!