Professional Licensure Disclosures

Professional Licensure Disclosure by Program

Freed-Hardeman is a member of the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (NC-SARA) which allows us to provide distance learning programs (both online and in the form of supervised field experiences) and coursework to residents of states other than Tennessee. NC-SARA membership, however, does not grant reciprocity or exempt us from state professional licensing requirements. As a result, licensing requirements in Tennessee may not be recognized as sufficient to obtain a license in any other state.

The U.S. Code of Federal Regulations, specifically 34 CFR 668.43(a)(5)(v) and 34 CFR 668.43(c) require disclosures by institutions regarding educational requirements for programs leading to professional licensure or certification regardless of modality. 34 CFR 668.43(a)(5)(v) requires an institution to make readily available to enrolled and prospective students information about whether programs leading to professional licensure or certification meet educational requirements.  

Freed-Hardeman University offers several programs that could potentially lead to professional licensure within the State of Tennessee. States vary in what professions they require to be licensed and how licensure functions. As such, the licensure boards in each state are responsible for establishing the requirements for licensure/certification for their state. Curriculum for programs at FHU that customarily lead to a professional licensure or certification are designed to meet the licensure requirements for the State of Tennessee. Some states require an individual to graduate from an approved program, while other state licensing boards may require additional requirements beyond education. Additional requirement may include (but are not limited to): certification requirements of a national organization, additional post-graduation examinations or experience, application and licensing fees, criminal background checks, reference checks, fingerprint submissions, etc. A specific amount of training can also be required as well as passage of an exam based on a state requisite exam score. Often, licensed professionals must also complete continuing education on an annual basis.

Freed-Hardeman periodically reviews individual state requirements in an attempt to assist students by providing an initial assessment and guidance. However, state licensing requirements are always subject to change at the discretion of the state licensing board without notice and can impact the program's ability to meet educational requirements for licensure. State professional licensing boards make the ultimate decision as to whether or not an individual will be eligible to sit for licensure based on the rules and regulations in place at the time the individual submits their application for licensure. Freed-Hardeman shall not be held liable if the student is unable to qualify for licensure or certification in any jurisdiction or cannot obtain a practicum/internship location. 

Students who intend to return or move to any state other than Tennessee should review the specific academic requirements for the program in which they are enrolling, and consult with the state professional licensing board to obtain further information for the applicable licensing requirement in the respective state. Please click the program of study below to view individual state contact information an as well as obtain FHU’s initial assessment. The State Licensing Requirements will indicate if the program curriculum Meets the individual state’s requirements, Does NOT Meet the state’s requirement, or will state Undetermined if Freed-Hardeman has not yet determined if the curriculum requirements are met. It is the responsibility of the student completing the licensure program to check with the licensing board(s) in their state of residence or in the state in which they intend to obtain a license for the most recent information and requirements. 

If you have questions regarding one of these programs or a program not listed on the Professional Licensure page, please contact your Academic Advisor or the Program Director. 


Accounting (B.B.a & M.B.A)

Behavioral Health with Clinical Counseling - Licensure Track (D.B.H)

Clinical Mental Health Counseling (M.S)

Communication Sciences and Disorder (B.S.)

Nursing (B.S.N.)

Physical Therapist Assistant

psychology (B.S.)

School Counseling

Social Work (B.S.W.)

Teacher Education (B.A., B.s., M.ED., M.A.T, ED.S., & ED.D.)