Why International Students Choose FHU


Quality Education

Freed-Hardeman University provides academically rigorous instruction in several undergraduate and graduate academic programs. Once you have selected a major, you will be assigned a faculty adviser from within that department who will work closely with you, guiding you in the completion of your academic requirements.

Your faculty adviser will also prepare you to transition into graduate school and/or career opportunities. FHU graduates enjoy an impressive acceptance rate of 90-100% into graduate and professional programs at some of the world's top schools.

Many FHU graduates have gone on to work for some of the world’s most successful companies, including Amazon, AT&T, Gaylord, HCA Healthcare, Disney, Deloitte, Regions Bank, Bank of America, FedEx, Ernst & Young, ESPN, PwC, and Sony.


Small Class Sizes

FHU’s low (13:1) and average class size of approximately 18 allow you to build lasting relationships, not only with your peers but also with professors who are committed to mentoring you in and out of the classroom.

Your courses will not be taught by graduate students or teaching assistants, but rather by highly educated and experienced faculty members. More than three-quarters of our distinguished full-time faculty members hold terminal degrees.


A Safe Location

FHU is located in Henderson, Tennessee, in the Southern United States. Americans in the Southern part of the U.S. are known for their hospitality and friendliness, and the small town of Henderson (population approximately 6,300) is a charming environment in which to receive a U.S. education. Henderson experiences far lower crime rates than most large cities in the United States.



PANGEA is a student-led organization at FHU that is designed to help international students adjust to life in Henderson and on our campus. The organization's student officers plan activities that bring international students together, and the PANGEA club is an understanding and supportive community for international students who may be experiencing culture shock. Through generous donations from the FHU community, PANGEA distributes bedding, clothing, snack foods, personal care products, and other items to international students throughout the year.



International Student Admission

An international student is a student who is a citizen of a country other than the United States. Permanent residents of the United States (“Green Card” holders) or dual citizens (of the United States and another country) are considered domestic students, not international students.

The admissions process for international students is a little bit different than for domestic students, with a few additional steps. Here are some important things to consider as you move forward with the application process:


Required Documentation

For an international student to be considered for admission, the FHU Office of Admissions must receive each of the following:

  1. Online application for admission

  2. Academic transcripts evaluated by a credential evaluation service.

  3. Official ACTSAT, or CLT scores
    Minimum ACT score: 19
    Minimum SAT score: 980
    Minimum CLT score: 64 overall, 13 Quantitative and 57 Verbal Reasoning and Grammar/Writing

  4. English proficiency scores (if primary language is not English)

International student athletes are required to purchase an InCred evaluation of their transcripts for NAIA eligibility decisions. Non-athletes may use any other credential evaluation service associated with NACES, such as SpanTran or WES.

The ACT code for FHU is 3962, and the SAT code for FHU is 1230. Transfer students with at least 15 credit hours do not need to provide ACT/SAT scores.


English Proficiency

Applicants whose primary language is not English must prove proficiency in English with one of the following:

  • TOEFL iBT (internet-based test) score of 70 or higher

  • TOEFL cBT (computer-based test) score of 173 or higher

  • TOEFL PBT (paper-based test) score of 500 or higher

  • IELTS score of 6 or higher

  • ACT English subscore of 17 or higher

  • New SAT Reading subscore of 23 or higher

More information about the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) can be found at Freed-Hardeman University's code is 1230. Prospective students can also contact a U.S. Consulate for additional information about TOEFL.

Transfer students who have completed at least thirty hours from a U.S. regionally accredited institution are not required to provide English proficiency scores if they have a cumulative GPA of 3.00 or higher and have earned a grade of “C” or higher in all English composition or writing classes.


F-1 Student Visa

Once you are approved for admission, you will receive an official acceptance letter and you will be asked to provide a copy of your passport ID page

The first step toward obtaining a student visa is to provide evidence of your financial ability to pay for tuition and living expenses. FHU uses this Financial Certificate to collect evidence of financial ability. Scholarship and financial aid details will also be finalized during this stage.

Once you have submitted a Financial Certificate and the supporting documentation (e.g. bank statements), you will then be instructed to pay a refundable deposit equal to the estimated balance for your first semester at FHU.

After the deposit has been paid, you will be mailed a Form I-20 (Certificate of Eligibility). The Form I-20, a valid passport, and the financial certification must be presented when applying for your student visa at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate.

The Office of International Education will provide instructions about the F-1 visa application process and the visa consular interview.


Preparing for your Arrival

Before you depart for the United States, you will register for classes and request a dormitory assignment. To complete your admission file, will be asked to provide a Health Form and immunization record. You will also be assisted in applying for an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) for tax purposes.

Students admitted to study in the United States on an F-1 visa must attend the university on a full-time basis to maintain status. International students may not engage in unauthorized employment. If you are authorized for on-campus or off-campus work while in the United States, you will apply for a Social Security Number (SSN).

All international students must maintain health insurance. The insurance premiums will be billed to your student account.

Josh Barber, B.A., M.A.

Joy Simon McDaniel House, Room 4

Jenny Johnson, B.A., J.D.

Joy Simon McDaniel House, Room 1