Tuition and Financial Aid

What is a FAFSA?

It is the Free Application for Federal Student Aid. It is FREE and easy to do. Read through it completely. You can complete it online at studentaid.gov.


When should I file a FAFSA?

During your senior year in high school, we recommend you file the FAFSA as soon after October 1st as possible to be eligible for the most financial aid. You will need your 2021 taxes to complete the 2023-2024 FAFSA.


What is Freed-Hardeman's Title IV School Code?



Do I have to do a FAFSA each year?

Yes. A FAFSA must be completed each year to be eligible for financial aid from year to year.


What documents do I need to complete the FAFSA?

You will need: your Social Security Number, Driver's License, Income Tax Return, bank statements, and investment records.


What is an "EFC"?

It is the Expected Family Contribution. It is the results from the FAFSA, that is determined by the Department of Education. It is used as a qualifier for need-based aid, such as Pell Grants and Institutional aid.


Who is eligible to receive federal financial aid?

You must: be a U.S. Citizen; have a valid social security number; comply with Selective Service registration; have a high school diploma, a GED, or pass a ATB test; be enrolled or accepted for enrollment in a degree or certificate eligible program.


Can I use FAFSA on the Web to estimate my EFC?

Yes. You can use FAFSA on the Web to calculate your EFC. The estimated EFC will print on the confirmation page when you have completed the application.


Do I have to file the federal income tax returns before completing the FAFSA?

It will be easier to answer the questions on the FAFSA if the tax returns are completed. If you have not completed your tax return, you may use estimates on your tax information to complete the FAFSA.


How do I know if it will be worthwhile for me to complete the FAFSA?

If your EFC is less than the cost of attendance (COA), you may benefit from completing the FAFSA. We suggest that you at least complete it for the first year to see what the results will be. For TN residents, the FAFSA must be completed to get the HOPE Scholarship or any aid from the state. Students will also need to file the FAFSA to be able to participate in the work study program.


If I am considering transferring to Freed-Hardeman, what should I do?

You should complete the Admissions process and have all official transcripts from all schools sent to FHU. You should also add FHU (003492) to your list of colleges on your FAFSA. We will then send you an award letter/package once you are accepted by Admissions.


What does it mean if I am selected for "verification"?

The Department of Education selects 30% of FAFSA applications for a process called verification. The school you are attending has to verify the income information listed on your FAFSA. You will need to complete the verification worksheet and send copies of parent and student tax return transcripts with W2s. This process could change your EFC.


Can I fax my verification documents?

Yes. These documents can be faxed to 731-989-6775.


What is the income criteria for getting need-based aid?

It varies depending on the family size, how many are in college, income, assets, and other factors.


How do I apply for Institutional scholarships?

Apply by completing the FAFSA as soon after October 1 as possible and be admitted to FHU.


When will I receive my financial aid award letter?

You will receive an award package once you are admitted to FHU, the FAFSA is completed and all required documents have been submitted to the Office of Financial Aid. We will contact you by letter and let you know if other documents are needed to complete your FAFSA. We try to get award letters out by the end of February.


What happens if I withdraw from the University during the semester?

Withdrawing completely from the University after the drop/add date of each semester will affect your financial aid. For more information and details, visit the Title IV and Institutional Aid Refund Policy page.




What is a refund?

A refund is the disbursement of a credit on your student account.


How do I know if there is a credit on my account?

Follow this link to access your financial account on myFHU: http://my.fhu.edu. Click on 'Account Statement' and select the current semester to view your statement. If you require assistance with your myFHU account, contact the IT department by calling 1-800-FHU-FHU1 ext. 6111. If you have questions about your balance, contact the Student Financial Services Office at 1-800-FHU-FHU1 ext. 6662.


How do I request a refund?

You may request your refund once classes begin. You can do this by completing the Request for Direct Deposit of Credit Balance form and submitting that via email at finaid@fhu.edu, fax (731-989-6775), by mail (Student Financial Services Office, 158 East Main St., Henderson, TN 38340), by campus mail, or in person at the Student Financial Services Office located in the Gardner Center. 


When will I receive my refund?

Refunds are direct deposited into student bank accounts if bank information is provided, otherwise excess money will remain on the student's FHU account. Refunds are processed approximately 2 weeks after the start of classes, if all refund paperwork is in order.



Meal Plans

What are my meal plan options?

Meal plan options can be found on this page.


Can I change my meal plan once the semester begins?

Yes, you can change your meal plan prior to the drop/add date which is approximately two weeks into the semester. 


How do I change my meal plan?

You can do this by email, by fax (731-989-6775), by mail (Student Financial Services Office, 158 East Main St., Henderson, TN 38340), by campus mail or in person at the Student Financial Services Office located in the Gardner Center. 



Dining Dollars and Lion Bucks

What is a Dining Dollar?

Dining Dollars are campus currency included on your meal plan and can be used in the Wallace-Gano Dining Hall, Lion's Pride and KC's Coffeehouse. Most meal plans include Dining Dollars.


What is a Lion Buck?

The Lion Bucks program was created for FHU students to be the ultimate complement to the university dining experience. Your campus ID card can now be used OFF CAMPUS at select restaurants as well as ON CAMPUS at all FHU Dining locations. You, your friends and family can reload the funds online 24/7. Now your campus ID gives you the utmost flexibility, variety, and value you deserve. 


What other forms of payment do you accept?

We accept most major credit/debit cards, checks and cash.