Work Study Guidelines

Freed-Hardeman University Student Employment Guidelines

Student work study is a vital part of the FHU campus. Please read below for information on how to obtain a campus job.

Documentation which must be completed before working any hours:

  •  Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)*
  •  I-9* (list of acceptable documents for verification available here)
  •  W-4* 
  •  Permit to Work Form (one for each semester)* 
  •  Student Work Direct Deposit Form*


*The FAFSA can be completed online or via the Office of Student Financial Services. Each subsequent document is available in the Office of Human Resources in Loyd Auditorium.

  • While many students have Federal Work Study allotments on their Financial Aid Award packages, work study positions are not guaranteed.
  • All student workers must complete a W-4 and an I-9 in the Work Study Office by their first day of work. To complete the I-9, federal guidelines state that a student must present original, unexpired documents that verify his/her eligibility to work within 3 days of the first day of work. A list of these documents can be found in the Work Study Office, or here.
  • A list of openings is available the first week of the fall and spring semesters outside the Office of Human Resources.  Students should complete an application for employment and indicate which position(s) interest them. Supervisors will then contact applicants regarding openings to schedule interviews and choose workers.  Students may also inquire of teachers, staff members, etc. about available positions.
  • Students may only have one campus job.  Permission must be obtained to work more than one job from the Office of Human Resources.
  • Students are allowed to work a maximum of six (6) hours each week.  Any hours above six (6) must be approved prior to working by the Human Resources Generalist and Financial Aid.
  • Federal Work Study Students are paid $7.25 per hour for working on campus.  Non-Federal Work Study Students are paid $6.55 per hour for working on campus.
  • All students must complete a time sheet on a semi-monthly basis.  Students must accurately record all hours worked.  Students cannot volunteer any hours in their job or in a position where other students are paid for doing that same job.
  • Time sheets should be recorded on the proper form specifically dated for each month.  The time sheets are preprinted and are to be used for the specified month only.  No other time sheet will be accepted.
  • Students are never permitted to work more than 40 hours during a workweek.  Time sheets start with the beginning day of the pay period and may begin with any day of the week.  However, a workweek pay period is calculated as seven days, from Sunday to Saturday. 
  • Freed-Hardeman University pay days are the 15th and last business day of each month.
  • A supervisor must always verify the hours on a student time sheet and sign the time sheet prior to payment.
  • Work hours should not conflict with scheduled class time.
  • Students are not allowed to work if they have resigned from the University or have dropped below half time.


If you have any questions regarding student employment on campus, please contact the Office of Human Resources at 731-989-6025.