Prospective researcher:

Below are links to the forms you will need in order to submit a completed request to the Freed-Hardeman University IRB. There are different forms for different types of research. After reviewing the forms, the FAQ page, and the IRB Manual, if you still have questions, please contact your research advisor or the FHU IRB.

If you are submitting an expedited or exempt request, you must still use the Request For Research Review template to ensure you are providing enough information about your research for a decision to be reached.

If your research is approved through another institution's IRB, contact us and we will work with you to reduce duplication of efforts while ensuring the requirements for Freed-Hardeman University are met.

An informed consent form that meets FHU standards (see template below) is required unless very specific criteria are met. Please note there is a separate template for research in which the consent will be obtained online.

If your research involves human subjects under the age of 18, you will additionally need to provide an assent form. An assent form is similar to a consent form, but allows a minor an opportunity to agree to participate. The parent/guardian will complete the consent form and the minor will complete the assent form. Because the assent form must be written in language that can be understood by the minors participating, and therefore the language used will vary based on age, there is not a standard template provided. 

Also, be aware that each member of the research team - including the faculty advisor- is required to successfully complete Social-Behavioral-Educational Basic (SBE) online ethics training offered by the CITI Program at For FHU faculty, staff, and students, the training is available for free. A certificate of completion will be provided, and it must be submitted along with your submission to the IRB. See the FAQ page for more information about online ethics training.

Please contact with any further questions, and good luck!


Request For Research Review

Request for Exemption

Request for Expedited Review

Request for Project Continuation

Request for Appeal

Request to Amend Approved Research