Restoration of FHU's Old Main


Campus Life // November 2, 2018

Efforts to restore Old Main, Chester County’s oldest public building are well underway after reaching its $5.5 million fundraising goal to bring the building close to its original condition.

Plans call for common spaces such as hallways, lobbies, stairs and Chapel Hall to be restored, while offices, classrooms and restrooms will be updated. Technology will be added and an elevator that will reach all five levels will be installed on the south side of the building. When completed, Old Main will house the Department of Behavioral Sciences and the Department of Communication, Language and Literature.

Built in 1908 by A.G. Freed and N.B. Hardeman to house Southern Teachers’ Normal and Business College, Old Main was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2012. Alliance Corporation of Glasgow, Kentucky, has been contracted to do the work on the building. Plans call for the project to be completed in May 2019, in time for the university’s 150th anniversary celebration.

Chester County residents contributed more than $1 million to the campaign. The local effort was led by Regina East, Kay Tignor and the late Larry Tignor.